[78-L] London

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Jul 24 20:24:27 PDT 2010

Something that has not been mentioned yet is the Felsted label, which was an offshoot of London. Launched in July 1954, the name came from a village in Essex where Sir Edward Lewis, the found of Decca, lived. Felsted was aimed at jazz and dance band fans but also had a few classical releases. Felsted got its recordings from Blue Star, Riviera, and Classique, all French companies.; There were two singles series: an orange label SD-80000 ("Authentic Dance") and a blue label ED-82000 series (jazz and rhythm). Both of these series were issued only on 78 rpm. 45s didn't come into use until 1957. That year, Felsted became an American label as well, operating from the London offices in New York. Kathy Linden's "Billy" was the first Felsted hit in April 1958. There were only 30 issues on British Felsted.

If anyone has any foreign issues (non-U.S.) by Jack Teter that they are willing to part with, I'd be interested.

Cary Ginell