[78-L] Near You by Francis Craig

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 22 22:52:38 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Check out the catalog of English London records some time. You will see
> links to all kinds of U.S. labels: Sun, Mercury, Liberty...they set up
> distribution deals with lots of U.S. companies. Apparently Bullet did the
> same thing. Martin Hawkins' book "A Shot in the Dark: Making Records in
> Nashville, 1945-1955" goes into great detail about the success of "Near
> You" and Jim Bulleit's (pronounced Buh-LAY) stewardship of the Bullet
> label as well as other, lesser-known Nashville labels, both country and
> R&B, although I couldn't find anything about English Brunswick in the
> book.

Actually, London, although it used British Decca masters, wasn't a British
label...it was a US label (apparently with a Canadian branch). Did Decca(UK)
market any London records as such in the UK? The Canadian operation
pressed a number of "indie" labels for sale in Canada; most of these labels
didn't export product to Canada...so that if their records became "hits" in
the US, and were played on AM radio, they were heard up here. Apex had
a series which issued such US hits; as well the Regency label did likewise.
Only a handful of US "indie" labels had Canadian operations; a  number
of these were issued on Canadian London.

Steven C. Barr