[78-L] The Jewish Caruso

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jul 21 00:05:30 PDT 2010

I'm going to have to go to that shop next time I visit Leah in Brooklyn
this fall.  That address is 15 minutes from her and  a few blocks from
where my mother grew up and my grandparents had a delicatessen.   When
I've driven thru there I never noticed a record shop.  My grandmother
used to go to shul and often heard him sing.  When I was a kid I would
play his records for her.  She took it personally that "her yussele" had
been cheated by some moviemakers and caused his death.

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> Alas, he also adds newly recorded accompaniment to the original recordings.

I haven't spotted any on the samples of Vol 3.  What tracks are you
thinking of.  There are ten other Rosenblatt CDs, and I haven't checked
any of the tracks on them.

> I immediately thought of those Caruso issues from the 30s that were hybrids.

That's why I want to hear which tracks you think have added
accompaniment.  I have the Pearl CD set of all of the Caruso overdubs,
and some of them are pretty good.
> His website is www.mostlymusic.com and you can hear samples. They are
> impressive.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

Brooklyn is a goldmine for things like this, especially in the Russian
shops although the bargains are not like they were ten or even five
years ago.  There have been a lot of Jewish reissues from Russia and
prices used to be less than $3..

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com