[78-L] One Froggy Evening

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jul 20 22:07:27 PDT 2010

>From a website devoted to the short.

Bill Roberts was a popular nightclub singer in the Hollywood area. Many sources say that Terence Monck suppied the singing voice of the frog. This appears to be based on an interview with Chuck Jones identified him as such. But he was not the baritone heard in the film. I believe the confusion may be partly due to the fact that Chuck Jones did use Monck in The Cat Above and the Mouse Below where he sang Largo al factotum .

Incidentally, I'm producing a piano/vocal songbook for Alfred Music Publishing that features songs from "One Froggy Evening," including, the for the first time in print, "The Michigan Rag." The story concerning this song was that producer/director Chuck Jones was looking for a vintage song for the frog to sing but couldn't find anything that fit for this particular scene. So writer Michael Maltese and Jones wrote "The Michigan Rag." It became so popular that the frog was soon named for the song: Michigan J. Frog.

Cary Ginell