[78-L] little records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 20 21:10:24 PDT 2010

From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> I recentlky acquired some on labels that I dodnot know, British origina
> I believe.
>
> Little Marvel (The Dancing Scotchman) (She Showed Him This)
> THE MARSPEN RECORD (Come Where My Love Lies Dreaming)(Oh Darling, Do Say
> Yes)
> MIMOSA (MA) (Over the Hill)
> about 5 & 5/8 inches across.
>
> Perhaps some of these are children's records?

No...like our well-known Little Wonder discs, these were marketed
to adults; the idea was that a small record took up less storage
space (and could still present a reasonably good version of a
hit tune as well). IIRC, I have examples of all three of the labels
you mention. "Marspen," of course, was sold by the noted UK
chain, Marks & Spencer.

There was more of a market for various "under-sized" 78's
in the UK...some used a higher "groove pitch" to provide
greater playing times. British labels like Broadcast sold 8"
discs which claimed to play as long as standared 10" discs;
there was also a label which put two songs on each side
of their 10" records.

Steven C. Barr