[78-L] 78s (sort of) and Cylinders in the news

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:05:15 PDT 2010

I remember vividly George Blacker's jury-rigged cylinder player with the
long balsa arm, which worked very well indeed.  And others on the List
have mentioned the "ACT" reproducer that fits on an Edison machine, as
well as the Archeophone.  I remember visiting Adrian Cosentini to get
some cylinders transferred on his great custom-built cylinder player,
with remarkable results.  And of course there's the Archeophone, of
stellar reputation and high price tag.

But I wonder if there are others on this list who have availed
themselves of the Symposium, which was built in England back in the
1990s and sold at the time, in limited production, for about $800, if I
recall correctly.  I've used the Symposium since then, with pretty good
results.  The Shure cartridge accommodates a wide range of styli, the 2-
and 4-minute speeds are widely adjustable, and the machine came with
three different-sized mandrels, including one for concert cylinders.
Operating the machine takes some getting used to:  for one thing, the
cylinder is played in a vertical position, from the lower end to the
top, and changing from 2-minute to 4-minute operation involves changing
belts.  But for the money, it was a good buy.

-- Jack Raymond