[78-L] 78s (sort of) and Cylinders in the news

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jul 19 11:10:00 PDT 2010

There is something called an "ACT" reproducer.  It uses a Stanton 500 and any available custom styli for 2 and 4 minute cylinders, there is also a "doorknob" sapphire available for brown wax cylinder playback.  It fits into the carriage of any Edison machine and has two RCA outputs, it's already wired for vertical playback.  Results from this thing can be amazing, I've had one for years and I use it all the time for transferring cylinders to digital on my Edison Triumph.  A properly serviced and adjusted Edison cylinder machine will give you great results with very little (if any) flutter or wow.  Listen to the Living Era CD of Billy Murray sometime, I provided several transfers for it using this machine and the ACT.

Sean