[78-L] Whistle

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jul 19 08:53:06 PDT 2010

Or the wax was ready but the performer futzed around too much. This  topic
obviously hasn't been on 78-L for a while..we often refer to it as  "His
Master's Dog Whistle".

This is very strange because I've mainly experienced it on some Viva~Tonal
records.  (One that comes to mind is Leopold Godowsky's recording of Grieg's
Ballade in G minor), Royal Pemberton's explanation makes sense because it
generally occurs towards the centre of the record and a wax which was at the
correct temperature at the beginning of a recording may cool down during the cut
and be too cool at the end.  It usually also occurs on longer recordings.

db