[78-L] New York records?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 16 19:47:00 PDT 2010

From: "Han Enderman" <jcenderman at solcon.nl>
> Mal sent me ebay-images of:
> 122-A Howard E. Schilling
> 526-A Franklin Post No.1 Band / American Legion, Columbus, Ohio
> 764-A The Louhi Band, (...?), Pa. [unreadable]
> 801-A J.L. Hudson Co. Concert Band, Detroit.
> Quite interesting, 122-A has a different label type, with the label name
> in capitals of the same size, whereas letters N & Y enlarged on the other
> issues.
> Regrettably the reverse of Ben Rader & His Missouri Athletic Ass'n Orch.'s
> "Sugar Foot Stomp" is unknown. Maybe they recorded a sweet piece & a hot
> tune.
> Rust gives New York as recording place, but this now seems doubtful
> (after all, the NYRL were also located in Wisconsin).
> Several issues refer to Ohio and Detroit.
> Visually/numerically there is no connection with Electric Recording Labs,
> NYC.

As I noted earlier, I doubt if this label had ANY connection with NYRL...?!
Nevertheless, I tend to feel that the label (as you note, almost ALL the
artists were from northeastern Ohio!) was a product of the same operation
that issued the final "The Electric" records c. late 1924? The ones I own
are not identifiable as a product of any known label/company. I suspect
they WERE recorded in NYC...and the "New York" name was used to
falsely convince buyers that the records and artists came from NYC,
which was known as the centre of the music/record industry.

IIRC, there exist other private labels, visually from the same source...?!

Steven C. Barr