[78-L] New York records?

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Jul 16 04:20:20 PDT 2010

Mal sent me ebay-images of:
122-A Howard E. Schilling
526-A Franklin Post No.1 Band / American Legion, Columbus, Ohio
764-A The Louhi Band, (...?), Pa. [unreadable]
801-A J.L. Hudson Co. Concert Band, Detroit.

Quite interesting, 122-A has a different label type, with the label name
in capitals of the same size, whereas letters N & Y enlarged on the other issues.

Regrettably the reverse of Ben Rader & His Missouri Athletic Ass'n Orch.'s
"Sugar Foot Stomp" is unknown. Maybe they recorded a sweet piece & a hot tune.
Rust gives New York as recording place, but this now seems doubtful
(after all, the NYRL were also located in Wisconsin).
Several issues refer to Ohio and Detroit.
Visually/numerically there is no connection with Electric Recording Labs, NYC.

Any other issues known?

Han Enderman
===
>>> Is there any info out there on the New York label? Sutton & Nauck's
entry says issued in the 1920s and that's about it. The one I've seen is
maroon with two rings around the outside of the label and the type style
looks vaguely OKeh-like. Credited to the New York Phonograph Recording Co.
Mal
---
ARLIE shows 120-A, which has a single ring !
I have a few more label images, and these have double rings.

129-B is BEN RADER a/h Orch.: Sugar Foot Stomp ! This is listed in Rust-JR-6 as

c. Jan 1926.
150 MISSOURI PACIFIC DIAMOND JUBILEE 4 (in BGR as unk. date).
779 CARNES-RICHARDS ORCH. - Is this in the new ADBD?
795 RAYEN SCHOOL BAND/GLEE CLUBS, Ohio.
805 SACRED HEART SEMINARY BAND, Detroit

At least the 700/800 series looks like custom recordings.
The font used in the 100 series resembles OK, which also used a narrow font on

some printings.

Which issue is known to you, Mal?
If you have image(s), can you send these?

Han Enderman
---
I picked up the four attachments included over the years from eBay.
I had thought that New York may have been a client label of Gennett, but now I think

not.
Thanks for your input.
Mal
- 122-A
- 526-A
- 764-A
- 801-A
---
I have 2 or 3 (at least) of these...but NO idea where. All that
I have seen are private recordings, usually of people/groups in north-
eastern Ohio per the credits. I have always felt these relate to
"The Electric Recording Company" of 1924-25, which also cut a lot of
"private" records...?!

Steven C. Barr
<<<