[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 15 22:51:16 PDT 2010

The 100xxx series can't be dubs because in every instance I see, using
Ben Selvin as an example, they are instrumental versions of a vocal
recorded at the same session in the 149/150xxx series.  This starts in
the middle of 1929.  On some sessions there is a 495xxx series like this
for Par and Od.  All of these are printed on two separate lines, but in
1931 there are many instances of recordings in the 351xxx and 404xxx
series where both numbers are on the same line and these are vocal
recordings for the Harmony, Velvetone, Clarion, etc labels.  There also
are some recordings in a 236xxx series.  I had never noticed any of
these things before and am pained that they are not explained or
included in the expensive Columbia master book discography set since
they knew these existed and apparently have all the data.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com