[78-L] No -- this is the world's rarest record

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 14:10:05 PDT 2010

Rarity vs uniqueness vs value -- This is the question! Whether tis nobler ...

Serious -- what makes a 78, or anything for that matter something of value.

I have presto disk from the 40s that soldier made to send home to his
folks. It is unique -- only one of these exist of this recording. It
is rare because it is unique. Is it worth lotsa moola -- nope.

Now, just suppose this soldier went on to be a singer or actor after
the war. Is it worth lotsa moola -- Well, maybe, it depends on how
you define lotsa. Is it a holy grail? No. (although I do think he
became a barber in my home town)

Then we get into those coloured material pressings that we see all
over, usually pressed by employees as souvenirs. Unique -- well there
may be only 1. Rare -- yep -- by the numbers. Worth lotsa
russbuckniks? -- Nope! At least not in my books. These are
manufactured rarities which are as ersatz as the perceived contents
of a padded bra. I recall back in the 1990s that there were companies
that manufactured 'rare box sets' by taking a CD, tossing in a 39
cent pin and sticker, calling 'Number 25 out of 5,000 limited
edition', and selling it for twice the price.

But what really gets me is when someone come along with a record of
Joe 'Banana Split' Humphreys singing Choo Choo Train Blues on
Paramount and claims that it is worth gazillions. I always take that
with a grain of salt.

As to the claim by the m-guy that his Okeh 78 is a rarity as much as
: "This find is like finding an original recording of Elvis Presley
singing Money Honey on Decca records in late 1956 without Scotty
Moore, Bill Black and D.J. Fontana but with an alternate
configuration of Scotty Moore and the original members of the Comets
(of Bill Haley and the Comets). ", I say -- and if your aunt had nuts
she's be your uncle. Likewise, if your grandmother didn't have any
children, and your mother didn't have any children, then you've
probably inherited the trait to not have any children also.

Rarity, uniqueness and value are only relative to the person who
cherishes certain things. Right now, a 78 of Pool by Red Ingle is all
three to me as I need it to complete my stuff.  Others people could
care less, exactly as I do about the aforementioned record of Joe
'Banana Split' Humphreys singing Choo Choo Train Blues -- or Over
There by Henry Burr on Okeh.