[78-L] No -- this is the world's rarest record ....

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 10 20:47:28 PDT 2010

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> I was kinda thrown by these statements, too:
> In describing Henry Burr....
> --quote--
> That recording of "Over There" is one of Billboard Top singles of
> 1917.16 It can be heard at the Virtual Gramophone. He is described as
> the original King of Pop.
> --unquote--

This is based on the HIGHLY dubious "expansion" of the Billboard
listings to cover the 1889-1941 period...which itself has all the
reliability of the typical "five days from now" weather forecast...?!
The description of Henry Burr as "The king of 'pop'" is, in fact,
fairly accurate; in those early days, artists weren't "signed to
labels," and Burr recorded for virtually every company! Given
that minimal records exist for even the major record firms of
that era, we have NO way of knowing the total sales of Burr's
discs; however, he WAS a very popular artist of that period...?!

Steven C. Barr