[78-L] Cleaning Gels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 10 19:39:24 PDT 2010

From: "Martin Fenton" <mafenton at talktalk.net>
> neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
>> If they are truly ruined, what is the point of cleaning them in the
>> first place?
> Fair point. Maybe I should have said "grey to the point of being almost
> unplayable?"
> From what I recall, the sealant brings back a lot of the shine, but
> doesn't do much for the playing quality as the damage by that time is
> irreversible.
> I used to know somebody, now dead, who used furniture polish (Mr. Sheen,
> to be exact) to clean 78s. They always had a unique smell!

"Greyed" 78's (or those with "greyed" grooves) are actually physically
damaged through (over?)use; the "peaks" of the record's grooves have
been worn away. While it is possible to use various "polishes" to give
these records a "shinier" appearance...this method will NOT actually
restore the damaged grooves. Once the shellac has been lost, there
is NO way to put it back...?!

Steven C. Barr