[78-L] 78 database

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Tue Jul 6 17:59:55 PDT 2010

Hi David

Rhetorical question:  What is this date?  12/09/11

For dates, I suggest using 4 digits for the year and 2 digits for the
month and date to facilitate sorting.  If you plan to share
information, using the metric format might be wise: 1939-07-??

The mm/dd/yy format is primarily an American form; other English
speaking countries use dd/mm/yy, or flipflop between the two, so your
database may not be shareable with us foreigners.  You'll receive
information in various formats, increasing the work involved in
importing the data.

For the missing information, just an alphabetical character would do
instead of a question mark or asterisk:  1939-07-dd  or 1939-07-xx.

If you only know the year, and not the month or date, you could go
with 1939-mm-dd.

I haven't figured out how to get a usable huge database onto a
webpage yet.  If you've got thousands of rows of data, html sortable
tables don't work well.  I don't know how to upload a user-friendly
database that can't be interfered with by visitors.  Any ideas?

David Palmquist