[78-L] Columbia sublabels [was MGM-Supertone connection?]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 6 08:23:56 PDT 2010

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> Han Enderman wrote:
>
>> I assume that the original reference to Supertone is a reading error.
>>
>> There was a short Supertone 1000-S series made by Columbia for Strauss & Schram.
>> This is different from the Co Special/Publix/M-G-M series.
>>

> That is the one where 1076P correlates with the Joyce song. No flip is
> listed, though.

Since the Columbia-manufactured Supertone had an -S suffix, it cannot be
1076-P.  As Han said, Rust used SR to mean (Columbia) Special Record.
Notice the capitol R.  That means it is a new word.  Supertone is Spt.
Read the Index of Abbreviations. Han is correct.  It was a reading
error.  Those two abbreviations are consecutive in that list.

No flip is listed because the client labels often had different
performers on the flip sides.  You have to go to their listings.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com