[78-L] Gene Deitch & Howdy-Doody + ME

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jul 5 22:15:33 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> From: stevenc at interlinks.net
>> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
>> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 00:11:31 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [78-L] Gene Deitch & Howdy-Doody + ME
>> From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> > I actually listened to the Howdy Doody radio show when the CBC ran it
>> > around 1953. In retrospect, it sounded as if a lot of bits and pieces
>> > were
>> > supplied and someone flung them together to fill the time, but maybe
>> > that
>> > was how the CBC got it (someone may have had to remove commercials).
>> > Soon
>> > after, the CBC began its own radio version of Howdy Doody, which was
>> > mercifully short-lived (I think my dad was asked to audition for it).
>> > CBC's TV version of Howdy Doody started a little while later and ran
>> > for
>> > years, depriving Canadians away from border cities of the real thing.
>> >
>> Back when I was VERY young (9 or 10) I used to go down to our downstairs
>> neighbours' apartment to watch "Howdy Doody" (and then "Captain Video"
>> which followed it). This was when I was still living in Chicago...we left
>> there
>> in mid-1954...!
>> Steven C. Barr
> I watched only the American program (sorry, Alfie Scopp and any other
> Canadian cast members still living). And on Buffalo's WBEN it was followed
> immediately by an order to "Saddle up your pintos, buckaroos, and let's
> ride The Sagebrush Trail!" (Theme: On The Trail)

After which (I'm guessing) the station would run an old western film...?!

After we moved to Waynesville, one of our local TV stations was channel 3
(Champaign, IIRC),,,whose western films were provided by "Sheriff Sid"...!
It was also possible for us kids to visit that set...and actually be seen on
TV!

I wonder nowadays how the hapless "Sheriff" could put up with all the
kids...?!

Steven C. Barr