[78-L] Art Shaw

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Jul 3 19:17:35 PDT 2010

It is ART on earlier pressings of BB B-7746 (which is among the most common records on ebay),
like with staff label, and ARTIE on later pressings.
Canadian records have Art on yellow labels and Artie on the later blue ones.

But US issues of B-7759 (Any Old Time) only show Art. Apparently of this B. Holiday record no late
pressings were made (is it known when it disappeared out of the Bluebird catalog?).
On Canadian BB it is rather common, with both Art and Artie. Composer name also changes from
Art to Artie.

I have 2 images of Voc 4465 (Jap Sandman), but both as ART SHAW and his NEW MUSIC.
OK 4465 as Artie S. a/h O, however, so Cary must have a late pressing of the Vocalion.
Voc & OK 4401 (Blues) both as Art.

Han Enderman
===
>>> I have 7 Vocalions and all but one say Art Shaw (gezundheit).

ART
4306, 4401, 4514, 4539, 4637, 4686

ARTIE
4465

It's interesting that all of the "Arts" are "New Music" while the "Artie" is "& his Orchestra."

Cary Ginell

> From: dlennick at sympatico.ca
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:54:11 -0400
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Art Shaw
>

> Amd he was Art Shaw on all the Brunswicks. I forget whether later Vocalion issues were as Artie.
>

> dl
>

> > From: soundthink at live.com
> > To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> > Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 15:33:48 -0700
> > Subject: Re: [78-L] Art Shaw
> >

> > Shaw abandoned Art in favor of Artie on advice that stated that his name sounded like a sneeze.
> >
> > Cary Ginell
> >
> > > From: suuford at msn.com
> > > To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> > > Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:03:00 -0400
> > > Subject: [78-L] Art Shaw
> > >

> > > When and why were records recorded by Art Shaw and his orchestra? I've just run across two of them, on the Bluebird label. Seem to recall a previous conversation about Art being used briefly, but forget details. I have Bluebird B-7746, Indian Love Call and Begin the Beguine and B-7759, Any old Time and Back Bay Shuffle. All identified as Fox Trot and while I'm at it, when did we stop seeing Fox Trot on just about every vintage record label?
> > > Jim Whipkey
<<<