[78-L] His Master's Voice in America

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:20:00 PDT 2010

> I looked this title up on alibris and abebooks, and
> prices seem to start at over $500 and ascend from there.
> Is it correct to assume that this was never released
> to the public?

It was sold to the "public" but it was a VERY limited edition. I think 5,000 copies. It was first offered to GE/RCA employees. It was published when GE owned RCA. It was never sold in stores - only by advance order. I think it was $35.00. I bought one then. Subsequently I met a guy whose dad was the PRINTER and he sold me a couple of copies which I sold on Ebay about 10 years ago for about $300. each. They bring more than that now. The #1 question asked of Fred Barnum - who wrote the book and was a historian in the RCA, then GE, and now L3 Communications Publicity Division - is "will he update it and will there be a new reprinted edition.

(this BTW is not unlike the "edison Speaks" LP that Mike Biel Produced at the end of the Mark 56 REcords era. Only 1,000 were made but none really hit the stores. Mike had some (maybe still does) and I found a cache of them (10 actually) from the guy who bought Mark 56's inventory. WHEN I had them 10+_ years ago I was getting $95.00 to $130 for them!)

You can read more about the book and Fred at:  http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews110.shtml

Steve