[78-L] History Detectives

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jun 30 09:58:21 PDT 2010

Lauste was a the inventor of a sound on film system around 1906.  I seem
to recall that sample prints I have seen show the sound to be variable
area taking up half the width of the film.

Yes, I was right.  Here is a site that shows at the bottom the film
print that I had seen in an old SMPE Journal article.

http://www.amps.net/newsletters/issue22/22_lauste.htm

 Of course the dancing Edison workers film has had its cylinder sound
restored to it, but this description seems to indicate that this film
was a full story film, not just a 30 second experiment.  This page also
states that Lauste had worked with Dickson on motion picture
experimentation at Edison in 1892.

I do wonder how this program will go about finding out about the
discovery.  If they showed the film to me I would INSTANTLY say
"Lauste", but I wonder how many "experts" they will go thru before
finding out.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com