[78-L] Why so many vinyl finishes?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 27 20:36:28 PDT 2010

From: "D P Ingram" <darren at ingram.fi>
> Just a curious observation noted whilst cataloguing some disks.
> One example, "The House at Pooh Corner" (His Master’s Voice (EMI Records
> Ltd.) / 7EG117) which is a 45rpm children's disc" has the been produced on
> at least four different vinyl finishes (red, green, yellow, blue) yet has
> the same matrix, same label, etc. The only difference is a "semi
> personalised" record number on the back.  Does anyone know WHY this might
> have been done, as the colours don't appear to signify anything that I can
> discover so far.

In the first days of RCA "45's,"  each series had its own colour; this was
quickly dropped
(too expensive?!). Since the above disc was aimed at a rather young
demographic...it
seems to me that EMI (1) used coloured discs to catch the eye of the
potential
customers...and (2) hoped that these customers would want one in each
colour...?!

Steven C. Barr