[78-L] A blast from the past

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:25:25 PDT 2010

Fabulous that this 80+-year-old machine still works great!

My dad was from a small town called Keokuk, Iowa, and I well remember some
of the radios at my grandparents' house there that had '25 CYCLE' stamped on
their chasses.  They didn't change to 60 until 1948; at least one of those
radios still worked as late as 1983 when we sold their house and most of the
contents.  A radio/TV repairman told me a few years later that running such
things on a higher frequency is actually easier on the transformers than a
lower one.  The transformers in the 25 cycle items were considerably larger
than those for 60 cycle versions; I can't remember why....maybe they needed
more inductance or larger gauge magnet wire....