[78-L] HMV's R-7000 series

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Jun 27 05:24:25 PDT 2010

I made an error when I said I had never seen an R-7000 series item.
The problem is that I saved the Italian series both as Gr and Gr(I), and did not look at both places.
DA/DB series occur in various countries, and thus one has to specify the country,
by exact label name or by country abbreviation.

The R-series is Italian only. I have (few) images in the range R-4671 - R-7843, and also in a 10000/14000 series.
All as Disco "Grammofono".
It is evidently not a continuous numerical sequence.
The 5000 series seems to be classical.

The lowest R-nr I have seen is R-4671 by Jazz-Band del "Grammofono".
R-4697 is Whiteman, Ol' Man River.
When did this R-series start?

There was also an S-prefix. I see S-10224, but also R-10161 & R-10273.
So what is the meaning of the S?

Han Enderman
===
>>> First, thanks to everyone for posting their helpful comments on the HMV series I've been looking for (all four responses have been useful). I have a much better understanding of how these discs were labeled, thanks to you all.

There's one more series that I'm not certain about, and that's R-7000. Below are a few examples of U.S. recordings that were released in the series, taken from Alan Kelly's Gramophone database. Perhaps I've mistaken them for Italian releases?

R-7681 "Funny" - Jack Shilkret's Orch.

R-7689 "Honey, I'm in Love with You" - Paul Whiteman's Orch.

R-7693 "On a Night Like This" - Howard Lanin's Orch.

Thanks again,
-Ryan Barna

(USA)
<<<