[78-L] Need help identifying HMV labels

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Jun 25 18:11:30 PDT 2010

All labels for English speaking & Scandinavian countries are His Master's Voice.
For ex., Australia (also with B & C-series), India, Denmark, Finland, Sweden
Also Czech (AM & AN series), Greece, Holland, Hungary,

Electrola is German, but Electrola-derived German recordings were issued in UK in HMV EG series.
And HMV classical DA/DB series appeared in Electrola DA/DB series.

The French used several French names for their "HMV" label:
- Disque pour Gramophone (early issues, at least reaching K-1597)
- Disque "Gramophone" (going over K-9000)
- La Voix de son Maitre (in upper case and thus without accents on label).
Possibly most or all VsM K-series are repressings of Disque Gr.

Italian R-4000s is Disco "Grammofono", indeed.
I have never seen an R-7000 series item.

Spanish AG series is DISCO "Gramófono", indeed with the accent.
The accent is retained when in later series the whole label name is in upper case.

As said, Czech labels are , with an AM series.
Not to be confused with the U.S. American Music label.
There was also a Czech Gramola label, with AM, B, C, DA & DB series.
Spelled on label: "GRAMOLA" RECORD.
I think this succeeded the Czech HMV label.
There are HMV labels with Gramola stickers over the nipper trade mark.

I have a single label image of:
A VOZ DO DONO MQ-68 (Made in Portugal), and apparently this is the later label name,
like LA VOZ DE SU AMO for Spanish issues, and LA VOCE DEL PADRONE.
Early issues will have a different name.
There are early Spanish issues labeled DISCO "GRAMOPHONE" before it became
DISCO "Gramófono".

The general label name "Gramophone" or some variant of it, together with the nipper logo,
was used in Europe before it became a version of the name HMV.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted to this group --
I'm trying to identify specific labelings of the His Master's Voice prefix series produced by the Gramophone Company.
My knowledge is extremely limited when it comes to these discs, and since I can't find much on the Internet about them,
I thought I'd ask a community who is more experienced in handling them.

I would like to be specific about the labelings (applying "HMV" to all of them would be too general). For example, here's what I've been able to confirm so far, and please notify me if there are any variations to the labeling:

English A-prefix series = ZONOPHONE RECORD

Spanish AE-prefix series = DISCO "GRAMOFONO" (with an accent on the middle "O")

English B- and C-prefix series = "HIS MASTER'S VOICE"

Australian EA-prefix series = "HIS MASTER'S VOICE"

German EG-prefix series = ELECTROLA

French K-prefix series = DISQUE "GRAMOPHONE"

Italian R-4000 and R-7000 series = DISCO "GRAMMOFONO"

And here are the labels I would like to identify:

Spanish AG-prefix series = were these also labeled as DISCO "GRAMOFONO" (with an accent on the middle "O")?

Czechoslovakian AM-prefix series = What were these labeled as?
A source suggests these were labeled as "American Music," but I have not been able to find any label examples

Portuguese EQ-prefix series = What were these labeled as?

Scandinavian X-prefix series = What were these labeled as?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
-Ryan Barna
<<<