[78-L] Need help identifying HMV labels

Ryan Barna ryansrecords1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:47:43 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted to this group -- I'm trying to identify specific labelings of the His Master's Voice prefix series produced by the Gramophone Company. My knowledge is extremely limited when it comes to these discs, and since I can't find much on the Internet about them, I thought I'd ask a community who is more experienced in handling them.

I would like to be specific about the labelings (applying "HMV" to all of them would be too general). For example, here's what I've been able to confirm so far, and please notify me if there are any variations to the labeling:

English A-prefix series = ZONOPHONE RECORD

Spanish AE-prefix series = DISCO "GRAMOFONO" (with an accent on the middle "O")

English B- and C-prefix series = "HIS MASTER'S VOICE"

Australian EA-prefix series = "HIS MASTER'S VOICE"

German EG-prefix series = ELECTROLA

French K-prefix series = DISQUE "GRAMOPHONE"

Italian R-4000 and R-7000 series = DISCO "GRAMMOFONO"

And here are the labels I would like to identify:

Spanish AG-prefix series = were these also labeled as DISCO "GRAMOFONO" (with an accent on the middle "O")?

Czechoslovakian AM-prefix series = What were these labeled as? A source suggests these were labeled as "American Music," but I have not been able to find any label examples

Portuguese EQ-prefix series = What were these labeled as?

Scandinavian X-prefix series = What were these labeled as?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

-Ryan Barna