[78-L] First LP

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 12:42:38 PDT 2010

David Breneman wrote:

> I've seen some pictures of dubbing setups with as many as
> four turntables, some of which could be locked together;
> multiple tone arms on each turntable, some of which could
> access turntables on either side of them; revolution
> counters; micrometers and all sorts of other paraphernalia.
> I think a lot of this got its start in the Vitaphone days.
> It must have been quite an art to put together a program
> that way.  No wonder CBS jumped at the opportunity to use
> wire recording on "Hear it Now."
=================
 From "Les Paul An American Genius" by Mary Alice Shaughnessy, William
Morrow and Co. Inc, 1993:

"Les's army days were not all glitter and glamour, though. He had to
help edit hundreds of hours of prerecorded entertainment down to scores
of tightly constructed thirty-minute variety shows for Armed Forces
network distribution. With tape-recording technology still four years
away in this country, it was exceedingly tedious work. To put together
one half-hour transcription required a master disk recording lathe, two
playback machines, three technicians with split-second timing, and
several painstaking hours. If someone missed a cue or prematurely
dropped the rocording needle, the process had to begin again from
scratch" (p.115).

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5229 (20100625) __________

http://www.eset.com