[78-L] First LP

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Jun 23 22:24:18 PDT 2010

A lot of those early numbers were experimental..don't forget, they didn't have tape yet in 1948 and everything had to be dubbed from original lacquers with the side joins and overlaps done in real time!

dl

A lot of folks on this list know more about this than I do, but I thought the process actually went in the other direction - that throughout the '40s, Columbia, in anticipation of their forthcoming Lp, was recording their classical materials to large lacquers on which they could record entire movements without stopping, then dubbing these with the necessary cuts to produce the 78 releases.  When the Lp was finally introduced, they could be dubbed in their entirety onto the Lp master.

db