[78-L] Is there anyone out there?? ^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jun 23 21:01:42 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Wonder if Barr and his records and his pre-Confederation hut are still
> standing?

Not quite PRE-confederation...although it only missed by two or three
years! William Deans bought four lots in 1869, and seems to have
built three houses thereon shortly thereafter. Oshawa wasn't yet
issuing building permits...but he advertised all his real estate for
sale in a local newspaper in January, 1871...houses included. He
advertised the houses as "surrounded by orchard"...which might
mean the site had been an actual apple orchard...or might just
be used instead of "garden?!"

The second house is still standing to the east of mine (another
house was built between them around 1924); the larger house
to the south was converted to a Christian Science church in the
twenties...and then replaced by a "basement-only" church in 1935.
This latter is still standing, and used by St. John's (I think)
Ambulance.

What is interesting is that I have several tons of shellac on the
second floor...but no plaster has cracked anywhere!

Steven C. Barr