[78-L] ^Black Out, White In?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jun 21 22:38:49 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> I recall seeing the green chalkboards...but NOT at my school(s) which
>> were built and equipped in the twenties if not earlier? Also, I don't
>> think anybody...including the manufacturers...promoted them as
>> "greenboards"...?!
>> Steven C, Barr
> Weren't they referred to professionally as "sight saver boards"? We
> started having them in the early 50s. Still called them blackboards
> though.

IIRC, that was the whole point of them...they were supposed to be
easier on young children's eyes than the original black boards?!
Steven C. Barr

Yes, and they often used yellow chalk to further decrease the contrast
range.  We had the green boards in the newly built Junior High when I
was a kid, and then we got the white boards when they renovated the
building I taught in a few years ago.  At that point I had fun using
different colored erasable markers when doing my technical diagrams of
audio devices like microphones and connectors, and the difference
between AM and FM.  It had been a pain to use colored chalk because it
was always so dusty, but these markers were neat!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com