[78-L] Speaking About Really Early Film Sound Technology -- Read This. Whoa!

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 21 16:35:57 PDT 2010

Michael Biel wrote:
> ...The wow created by this machine is not as evident in speech as it is in
> music, although I do hear the wow especially in the second half of the
> Edison speech.  Listen to the chimes and the music in the YouTube
> example.  As I have mentioned, I have all of the transfers and the music
> is very difficult to listen to.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUm_mPizQFk
>
> As I have mentioned, I think the wow is on the playback machine -- I
> HOPE it is on the machine and not on the films.  The machine needs to be
> greatly improved or a REAL player needs to be modified.  They do hope to
> do this if funding can be obtained.  This machine was cobbled together
> without much knowledge of how sound recordings are really played to just
> prove to potential backers that it could be done and to start to catalog
> what is on the films.

If these guys were such incredible geniuses, how come they couldn't use
a capstan? Seems they were trying to reinvent the wheel to a certain
degree. Doesn't this technology closely resemble the sound system used
up into 60's using optics?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150442448884

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)