[78-L] Speaking About Really Early Film Sound Technology -- Read This. Whoa!

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 19:38:52 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 13:21 -0700, David Breneman wrote:

> The chimes sound like G-C-G-E-D-E (the first G being the
> G below middle C).  Is that what it sounds like on Edison's
> recording?

The chimes on YouTube are G-C-G-E (pause) G-C-E , which surviving memos
and publicity articles indicate are the correct sequence of seven notes
as originally used on NBC radio in 1929. The second G is an octave
higher than the first and third G.

The Edison chimes are slighly different; the first four notes are struck
rather hesitantly, but the last three notes sound as though they were
struck at once, in a chord. Those chimes can be heard both my site
(http://www.nbcchimes.info ) and Bill Harris' site
(http://www.radioremembered.org/chimes.htm ).