[78-L] Speaking About Really Early Film Sound Technology -- Read This. Whoa!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jun 20 10:38:27 PDT 2010

From: Randy Skretvedt <forwardintothepast at yahoo.com>
> If you go to http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=942480 ,
> there's a "Multimedia" section at the left; click on the section that says
> "Hear the audio," and it will bring up another box with 2:46 of Edison's speech.
> It's very well recorded; those fellows did a remarkable job of re-creating a
> playback device.  All the best--Randy Skretvedt

Don't forget, this entire speech and other excerpts of the broadcast has
been available on LP for twenty-five years.

The wow created by this machine is not as evident in speech as it is in
music, although I do hear the wow especially in the second half of the
Edison speech.  Listen to the chimes and the music in the YouTube
example.  As I have mentioned, I have all of the transfers and the music
is very difficult to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUm_mPizQFk

As I have mentioned, I think the wow is on the playback machine -- I
HOPE it is on the machine and not on the films.  The machine needs to be
greatly improved or a REAL player needs to be modified.  They do hope to
do this if funding can be obtained.  This machine was cobbled together
without much knowledge of how sound recordings are really played to just
prove to potential backers that it could be done and to start to catalog
what is on the films.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com