[78-L] Tinfoil (was: Sound for early silent films Was: what a whiner!)

S. Puille berlin40 at msn.com
Fri Jun 18 11:30:30 PDT 2010

My grandmother witnessed an early Edison demonstration and came home
with a small piece of tinfoil, which I now have. It is attached by a
pin to a small card on which she wrote: "This foil was printed by the
'Phonograph' at the Normal School, Salem [Mass.], May 1876." She also
noted that it was demonstrated "by Mr. E. C. Balles and Prof. Osborn."
Any idea who Balles and Osborn were?

-- Jack Raymond
The Reverend Dr. Bolles exhibited the phonograph in Salem during the second half of May 1878. On May 21 he showed the instrument at the Essex Institute. At the occasion, John Flockton, leader of the Salem Band, recorded a cornet solo which was "accurately rendered." Prof. Osborn, probably a local savant of whom I know nothing, didn't attend at that exhibition.
Stephan