[78-L] Speaking About Really Early Film Sound Technology -- Read This. Whoa!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 18 09:30:59 PDT 2010

This is NOT the only recording of the Light's Golden Jubilee broadcast
that exists.  There is a MORE COMPLETE recording of the broadcast at the
Edison Site that was recorded on the Rayediphone 30 RPM disc system.  I
have had a copy of the disc recording for thirty years, issued parts of
it on the Mark 56 LP "Edison Speaks", and David Giovionni made a new
transfer of a set of the discs last month.

I have been involved with the Schenectady Museum Pallophone recordings
for several years since the films were first discovered, I attended the
"unveiling" of the recordings last month, and I have the full set of
recordings of the films.  It is unfortunate the reporter chose to
emphasize this particular recording as if the broadcast would not exist
if not for this film.  I think the 78-L would be more interested in the
several programs of the B.A. Rolfe Lucky Strike Orchestra that are part
of this collection.  Actually, the most important find is part of a 1929
basketball game called by Graham McNamee of which there is no other
example.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com