[78-L] Tinfoil (was: Sound for early silent films Was: what a whiner!)

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Fri Jun 18 08:24:25 PDT 2010

> There is a framed tinfoil in the Edison Museum in Ft. Myers, Florida,
> which for many years they claimed was exactly that, but finally they
> were convinced to stop claiming that.  Edison signed it and noted that
> it was recorded on the MODEL of the original phonograph.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if this is the foil recorded at the Aug 12, 1927 ceremony.
> The foil is in perfect condition except where Edison signed it.
>
> There's a hunk of tinfoil on display at the Belfer Lab, Syracuse University..
> looks as if it once had a bunch of grapes wrapped in it, but you never know.   dl

My grandmother witnessed an early Edison demonstration and came home
with a small piece of tinfoil, which I now have.  It is attached by a
pin to a small card on which she wrote: "This foil was printed by the
'Phonograph' at the Normal School, Salem [Mass.], May 1876."  She also
noted that it was demonstrated "by Mr. E. C. Balles and Prof. Osborn."
Any idea who Balles and Osborn were?

-- Jack Raymond