[78-L] "Buccaneer" lacquers..info please?

Patrick Feaster pfeaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 06:46:01 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 14:46 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
> I have 10 lacquers with flaking labels (discs are fine, thank you) of
material recorded in Haiti, Havana and Nassau, all with "Collection of Laura
C. Bolton" around the upper circumference, "Buccaneer" hand written across
each label, "1936" for date, and non-sequential numbers like 38A backed with
52. Dances, calypso numbers (I think) like "Miss Tidy, Lend Me Your Pigeon"
etc..what exactly is the source for these?

This appears to correspond to Laura Boulton's collection 92-365-F ("West
Indies; various locations; Afro-Caribbean, Haitian, Jamaican, Cuban;
1936-1937") at the Archives of Traditional Music, Indiana University
Bloomington.  Looks like the ATM has only open reel tape copies of these
particular recordings, however -- no discs.

 - Patrick