[78-L] Department of Pseudonyms and Solos?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Jun 15 10:38:50 PDT 2010

Julian wrote:

In the 1920s and early ’30s, how was the decision made to apply
pseudonyms to mainly dance band records? Did the record companies employ
people to meet, say once a month, to discuss which pseudonyms to use on
individual records, or was there a formula they used?

Similarly, who made decision whether to include solos on dance band records?

I have always wondered the same thing,  Julian.   Some of the pseudonyms
were very creative and one has to imagine that there were a few people in
the front office who had the enjoyable  task of thinking them up.

Some could be quite droll.  One pseudonym I have for Arthur Fields is Arthur
"Rivers."  Names on the Radiex/Van Dyke/Grey Gull records really could get
out there,  e.g. Ginger Ale and his Sparklers,  The Joy Dispensers,  and my
own personal favorite,  The Kitty Cat Jazzers.

I'd always assumed that solos on these records were called for by whoever
was fronting the session,  or by whoever wrote the arrangement (often a
doctored stock).

Taylor