[78-L] Corrections for Decca 17000 Cajun series titles(for Tyrone)

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Jun 11 05:19:39 PDT 2010

I have 19 label images in range 17000-50. All have English translations in round brackets (),
unless the title is in English (e.g., Step On It; Crowley Stomp).
This even applies to simple French: "Le Nouveau Lafayette (New Lafayette)".

I see some side errors in Cary's list. From the label images:
17011-A La Jolie Fille...
17011-B Ne Buvez...
17015-B Jeuste Parqué [also note accented é]
(also ...Entré on 17043-A, which has a meaning different from Entre)
17016-A Il ta prie...
17025-A is LE..., not La...
17028-A ...Mauvais... (not Mauvaise)
17032-B Jolly...

Han Enderman
===
>>> I have six of the 17000 series under 17030 and all sides have English translations. I have my notes somewhere and can possibly find clues to what I did, but I believe that most, if not all of them were on the labels. Occasionally, it would not be on the label but was on the company label copy, which was a facsimile of the label in the ledgers that was sent to the printer.
Cary Ginell
---
I wouldn't be so hasty to assume that none of the translations was on the record labels. Here's my suggestion: take my list and compare it with the listings in Tony Russell's "Country Music Records." I see that most of his listings of the Cajun records have the translations also. And it appears they match mine. Get a consensus - if the translations are in both, I would say that it is safe to say that they were on the record labels. I know that I didn't borrow my information from Tony because my book came out years before his did. And I doubt that he took my research for granted either and did his own work from primary sources. As I said, most of the issues in the 17000 series that I own DO have the translations on the labels. Nearly all of the early issues from 1934-36 have them.
(cg)
---
As I mentioned before, the listings in Cary's Decca discography are precise.
I have most of the records in the 17,000 Cajun series, so I compared Cary's list with my records.
Cajun misspellings are as on the labels and English subtitles are as on the labels as well. (Or no subtitles - as on the labels).
Benno
<<<