[78-L] End of an Era: Dr. Demento ends radio run

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jun 10 22:07:54 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Dr. Demento is a member of Toast of New York and is heard from frequently.
> A couple of months ago he gave me a plug when he aired (online only, not
> on the broadcast version) my near first-generation copy of The Crepitation
> Contest.
>
> I'll admit to having drawn some inspiration from Dr. D over the years,
> although I'd never heard his program when a listener to my local show
> called me a Canadian Doctor Demento. Some years later, I presented nightly
> insanity on the CBC Network on "Summer Camp" and then "Night Camp". While
> on a visit to Los Angeles, I dropped into the offices of Westwood One with
> a few samples..they said they loved the program but couldn't do anything
> with it, since they already had Dr. D and HE was a hard sell. Radio ain't
> fun no more.

I recall that he did a live show in Toronto about 20 years ago...which I
attended!
I took him an autographed copy of my DG, having learned he collected 78's;
he told me that he already owned the book, but would hang onto the
autographed
copy as well. He also introduced me to the crowd!

Steven C. Barr