[78-L] Stamps Quartet on Victor Sells for $11,322.98! [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jun 10 19:40:32 PDT 2010

From: "Mike Harkin" <xxm.harkin at yahoo.com>
>>Everything is hearsay:  "They" said it was sold, in 1998 already, for
> 11K+; "they" said this, "they" said that....  Mnyeh!
> Mike in Plovdiv

The price/"value" of a 78 is determined by two essentially intangible
facts: (1) how much the seller is willing to accept therefor, and (1)
how much the buyer is willing to spend to acquire it...! When those
two numbers coincide, the record changes hands...with both parties
presumably satisfied...!

Fortunately (IMHO) we in the 78-collecting world do NOT have an
official "catalog" listing the value for each and every 78 (there have
been attempts thereat...ALL unsuccessful...?!). Being rather poor, I have
paid less than $1 each for the last 10,000 (+/-) 78's I have acquired;
I have bought them in rather large lots, and suspect I have a number
of duplicates (which will someday be sold...WHEN I get them together...?!).
Since none of these "dupes" (in fact, very few of my 78's...!) are notably
"rare and valuable," I shall be very lucky to get rich...or in many cases
even to find buyers...?!

Note that I own a number of 78's which may well be the only/last
extant copy thereof; however, that fact does NOT automatically
make them "valuable"...?! They only reach that exalted status
if/when some other collector (1) wants or "needs" them badly
enough to offer me large sums of money to tempt me into
parting with them...AND (2) I decide I would rather have that
large sum of money than the record in question?! Since I
collect...and am interested in...RECORDS and not money...the
second of the above two events is rather unlikely to occur...?!

Steven C. Barr