[78-L] Robert Mavounzy data and west indies was:re Sidney & the Lion play calypso

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 11:33:07 PDT 2010

Julian
I also like Jack Sneed ("The Numbers Man" is quite a bit of fun, use it when i show children in schools about rap of all things) et all very much as well as Belsaco, Manning, Whodini (esp the sides with Walter Bennett on trumpet and Al Morgan on bass), also like the Humphrey Lyttleton  sides around 1952 in the Indies genre...
off to MAVOUNZY
the LP is not under his name but it he is the musical leader of the session:
DISQUES CELINI presents MARTINIQUE MUSIC D'AUTREFOIS
l'album d'or de la biguine
celini disques AUX ONDES LRC 01
this is now avail on CD from Fremeaux FA5259

while looking for it I recall 2 other LPs by Mavounzy with Al Lirvat
celini disques again AUX ONDES
LP RGC 10030 AL LIRVAT ROBERT MAVOUNZY "Musique Folklorique"

I have these two, there is a third I think it's called "Blowing In Montmartre" - I wish I had that one, that one is straight jazz.
 His playing on the first disc I mentioned is about as good as it gets for performing west indies music with some of the freedom we associate with the best of jazz. after all Robert is a jazzman as well as a biguine artist ...
hope this helps
Yves