[78-L] Sidney & the Lion play calypso

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jun 7 21:19:00 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Just found a 10-inch LP on Stinson featuring Sidney Bechet and Willie "The
> Lion" Smith playing calypso, rhumbas, and meringues. Never knew this
> session existed. According to the liner notes, the six titles were
> recorded in New York for Brunswick on November 22, 1939. Other musicians
> include Kenneth Roane, trumpet, Olin Alderhold, bass; and Zutty Singleton,
> drums. The session is not in Rust's Jazz & Ragtime Records but I think
> they should have at least been referenced. Two of the sides were issued on
> Varsity 8405 and 8360. Does anyone know about any of the others? Here the
> titles:
>
> Sous les Palmiers
> Rosa Rhumba
> Tropical Mood Rhumba
> Mayette Meringue
> Ba Ba Rhumba
> Magic Island Meringue

For the most part, discographers don't include West Indian (mostly calypso
at that
time) recordings; they were usually issued on limited-circulation "ethnic"
series.
Both Decca and ARC recorded such discs; I have run across a VERY limited
number
of these, and always find them pleasant listening...!

Steven C. Barr