[78-L] Joseph Pizzarello on Bettini

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 09:10:57 PDT 2010

From: David Lewis <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>
> The "spider" applied more force to the cutting stylus; a simple improvement but it made a big difference.
That is not the real reason for the spider.  Bettini used a larger than
usual diaphragm and connected the stylus not just to the center, but via
the "spider legs" of different length to different places on the
diaphragm at different distances from the center.  The idea was to
capture the sound wave at different places, possibly at different
frequencies.  Theoretically it might make a greater amount of different
resonant peaks that only one connection would make, or else it might
smooth out the resonance caused by only one connection.
Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

That may not be what Bettini intended, but it was its effect. This writer states that the relative position of the spider legs on the diaphragm may not have had a lot of effect on the sound:
http://www.edisontinfoil.com/adbettini.htm

I am unable to find the link now, but I noticed some patent illustrations where the spider's legs were spread out equidistant on the diaphragm's surface. Perhaps this was just a bad representation in the engraving, but also maybe Bettini ultimately realized that to maximize the force on the cutter was a good idea.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com