[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Sun Jun 6 10:10:59 PDT 2010

At 07:30 PM 6/5/2010, you wrote:
>From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> >>A lot of them were probably imported to North America because the
> >>originals were long out of print. I turn up nice HMVs and
> >>Parlophones in radio station collection and at jazz conventions. Of
> >>course the ones you really want to get are the Australian laminated
> >>pressings, which are extraordinary..even of run-of-the-mill 12"
> >>Deccas like the Paul Whitemans.
> >>dl
> > I've noticed that the big band, pop, & rock 78's (of US artists) that
> > I buy in English pressings on Ebay  are often in better shape than
> > the US pressing of the same records. Either they weren't played as
> > much or they were better taken care of by a past owner or owners.
> > Where I find both US & English pressings in the same great shape is
> > mid to late 50's pop & rock 78's as here in the states the 45's were
> > played much more than the 78's (of the same record) were. Often I've
> > found a near mint to very good condition 78 rpm of a record where the
> > 45' is often in poorer shape but still playable until a better one
> > comes along. At least thats how I've found many 50's era US issues to
> > be. The English 45's might be in better shape but I honestly don't
> > know if they are or not as I really don't look for English 45 rpm
> > issues of American records although I do own a few from the 60's & 70's.
> >
>No...45's were primarily owned by teen-agers...who took them to friends'
>houses as well as "record hops"...but who DIDN'T take a lot of care of
>them, especially the songs on them were no longer "hits!" As well, the
>needles on 45 players were rarely changed; most of the players came
>with "permanent" (in theory only...!) needles, and there were never
>changed until they were so worn that the sound was noticeably affected?!
>
>Steven C. Barr
>_

So thats why 50's era Rock/Pop 78's are usually found in better shape
than the 45 rpm issue. It's that way (in my experience) here in the
States & might be that way in the U. K. too. Even R&B can be found in
better shape on the 78 rpm issue. I've hunted for years a better
shape 45 of my worn Shirley & Lee Feel So Good/ You'll Still Be
Thinking Of Me on Alladdin with no luck. Any other copy I've found
was pretty much played to death. However I did turn up a near mint 78
of it one day at a record collector show & was very glad to find it.