[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jun 5 19:53:02 PDT 2010

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> No...45's were primarily owned by teen-agers...who took them to
> friends' houses as well as "record hops"...but who DIDN'T take a
> lot of care of them, especially the songs on them were no longer "hits!"

45s were slightly different in England than in the U.S. -- at least as
far as Extended Play EPs were concerned.  The era of the E.P. in the
U.S. was nearly over by the early 60s, but in England that format was
still going strong.  Most of the time in the U.S. the E.P. duplicated
what was issued on LPs, but in England many E.P. had unique material not
available in other formats.  Thus these would be treated with as much
respect as their LPs would. There are many classical and operatic
recordings in England that were on microgroove only on E.P., and some
pop compilations were also mainly on E.P.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com