[78-L] Joseph Pizzarello on Bettini

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:42:03 PDT 2010

http://theautry.org/collections/opera-2

Check these out -- the Bettinis are Nos. 2 & 3 on this page (I certainly would not have thought to look at the Autry for opera!)

The "spider" applied more force to the cutting stylus; a simple improvement but it made a big difference. Pretty awesome sound on these babies.

The original web source of the Pizzarello cylinder is on the American Memory site.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

Joe wrote:
I find the sound amazing for an 1898 cylinder. Forward and clear.

Was this typical of Bettini or is this just an outstanding example? I
have read about the spider diaphragm. This may be the only example of
such a recording that I have ever heard.

joe salerno