[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records?

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 11:16:47 PDT 2010

Junking in England reveals that in general - the 50s pop records were played sparingly and turn up in nice shape - the rock n roll ones were played more and are often in poorer shape...also....if a box of 78s is put out for sale in a junk shop or charity shop or similar in England...the rock n roll 78s will go first...and so many people are looking for them compared to other styles of music on the format and also they don't crop up to much (plus the 45rpm equivalents are rarer and often very expensive to get)...

45s of any kind from prior to 1960 (the year of the demise of 78s in England) found when junking are varied in condition but are often in poorer shape than later records but no less poor or more poor than the 78 equivalents....78s still outsold 45s until mid or late 1958 in England so some 45s of 1952 to 57 (especially R&R) are almost impossible to find in any shape...some records even the pop ones (Diana by Paul Anka on Columbia from mid 1957 for example) turns up on 78 extremely frequently but hardly ever on 45...45s didn't truly over take 78 sales until early 1959...it happened very quickly .....I understand 45s were taken to by the USA much earlier (like early to mid 50s) but 78s were still around in 58/59...

Rock n Roll LPs from 1960 or earlier are hardly ever seen when junking...LPs were too pricey for teenagers in the 50s and the ones that were bought by youngsters (e.g. Elvis on HMV) were well played and often only turn up in worn shape with tatty covers...

I mainly collect 50s music on US 45s (if it is US music) and on UK 45s if it is UK music - as far as possible...I still have some skiffle items from the mid 50s that were only issued on 78 and also some 78s where the 45s are very rare...

The searches continue..

Matthew
UK