[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records? [FWD]

Mike Harkin xxm.harkin at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 23:49:55 PDT 2010

And classical was an even larger percentage.  A Gramophone reader in 1936 mentioned that he got 50 shillings for going down a mine six days a week.  12" red label HMV's were
6/- or 6/6, which meant a 4 disc set cost half aweek's wages.  Don't recall what aveerage wage was in the US around then, or when the Biggies reduced their 12" classical from $2
to $1, but I'm sure you got more shellac for your buck on the west side of the pond than the east....

Mike in Plovdiv