[78-L] Music Hall on Gennett

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 4 17:44:59 PDT 2010

In this case I think the appeal to Gennett management in issuing this
record would be having a rendition of The Preacher and the Bear in their
catalog.  Yes Gennett did strive to be as wide ranging as possible.
That they SEEM to be remembered only for jazz is elitism in the
collecting fraternity beginning in the 1930s when FINALLY they became
interested in how jazz began.  They discovered these records were rare
even then because they had not sold!  They were a drug on the market
when they were new.  They were a loss to Gennett.  They deleted them and
destroyed the masters because they were ephemeral junk that nobody
bought.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com