[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 4 17:36:08 PDT 2010

The Brits on the list might be in the best position to add to these
comments because they are the ones that see ALL of the records in their
junking.  Maybe only the best make it across the pond!

It has been discussed here before that the British had a fetish for the
use of fibre needles, so this might be a large reason for the condition
differences noted here, yet generally I feel U.S. classical records are
found in as good a condition as British classical records are.  I am not
sure how much this fibre fetish reached into the lower classes playing
popular records.  A further factor might be that the middle-class
generally taking better care of their pop records and that there was not
as much use of phonographs in lower class British homes compared to that
in the U.S.  Not meaning to be elitist or racist at all, we all know
that country, hillbilly, blues, and race records are on the average
found in much, much worse condition that the average pop, band, or dance
record.  Records might have been more universally used by the entire
population in the U.S. than in England.

When it comes to jazz records in England, in the reading I have done
recently it seems more and more evident to me that jazz was considered
by British fans as much as an art form as classical, and that record
care was of similar importance.  It was ephemeral music here in the U.S.
and the records were more likely to be played to death.  While I came
across a 1938 article in the American Music Lover describing a Summer of
record shopping in England by an American who marveled at the lower
prices of classical records in England, records might have been more
expensive to the average Brit, and thus they might have taken better
care of them.  Also note that many British record stores sold their
records in those heavy stiff sleeves with stitched sides, thereby
creating an inherit feeling that the records were important.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com